These home made lemon poppy seed muffins are sure to brighten up your day! The cupcakes taste good regardless of the time of the day. Poppy seeds usually have a nutty-flavour which is fantastic when used for muffins, cakes, breads and cookies.
Poppy seeds are rich in minerals, B vitamins and are a good source of dietary fibre making these muffins perfect for cheat day. These muffins are sooooo delicious especially with the lemon syrup drizzle!
HOW TO MAKE LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS
1. Begin with preheating the oven to 200°C/ 400°F followed by lining a 6 cup muffin tin with cupcake papers.
2. Measure out the ingredients accurately. Make sure to always sieve the flour as this will make your muffins have a lighter texture which is what we’re going for. For the muffins; mix the flour, poppy seeds and castor sugar in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, mix together the melted butter, egg, milk and lemon zest. Make sure to reserve some lemon zest for later. You can use either whole milk or skim milk for this recipe depending on your preference.
3. We then add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a whisk until just combined. You don’t want to over mix the batter.
4. Spoon the batter about 3/4 way up in to a prepared muffin tin with 6 cups . Divide the mixture evenly then sprinkle the tops with the reserved lemon zest.
5. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until risen and golden in colour. As the muffins cool, prepare the lemon syrup. Mix the icing sugar and the lemon juice in a bowl until smooth and well blended.
6. Spoon the lemon syrup over the warm baked muffins and allow them to cool. Turn the muffins out and serve.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Zest of 1 medium sized lemon
- 100 g Castor sugar
- 150 g Self raising flour
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds
- 1 Egg
- 100 ml Milk
- 30 g Melted butter
For the lemon syrup:
- 50 g Icing sugar
- Juice of 1 medium sized lemon
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F. Line a 6 cup muffin tin.
- For the muffins, mix the flour, poppy seeds and castor sugar in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix together the melted butter, egg, milk and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and whisk until just combined.
- Spoon the batter in to the prepared muffin cups dividing evenly. Sprinkle the reserved lemon zest on tops.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. The muffins should be golden brown in colour.
- For the lemon syrup, mix the icing sugar and the lemon juice in a bowl until well blended. Spoon the syrup over the baked muffins and let them cool. Turn out and serve cold.
Share what you make
TAG @JEROTICHM ON INSTAGRAM WITH YOUR CREATIONS!
WE LOVE SHARING WHAT YOU MAKE WITH THE COMMUNITY!
10 Comments Add yours
Awesome! Will try it out
This is a must try! Looks Soo yummy!
They really are yummy, tag us when you try them out
Great, feel free to tag us when you make them
They look so lovely !! Definitely trying this out. Thanks for the awesome recipe
Thank you Claudia, do try it out. It’s amazing!
Wow this is amazing Mercy. I love the work. ?????
Thank you Olivia
nice one. already waiting for the next recipe
Thank you, we have so many more amazing recipes lined up