This delicious, moist, fluffy pumpkin cake is sure to lift up your mood. Your family will be wanting more and more of this cake, I promise!
It’s so full of flavour brought about by the various spices in the recipe and will leave your house smelling amazing.
QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE
- Pumpkin vs Butternut?
If you don’t have pumpkin available, you could substitute with a butternut. This will not affect the outcome of the recipe.
- How to know if the cake is done?
Insert a cake tester or a toothpick in the middle of the cake. It should come out clean.
- How to store the cake?
The cake can be stored in an air tight container or wrapped securely in aluminium foil at room temperature for 2-3 days. To be honest, you’ll have devoured this cake in a few hours.
HOW TO MAKE A PUMPKIN LOAF CAKE
1.Begin with preheating the oven to 170° C / 338° F. Grease and dust a 4″ × 8″ loaf tin and set aside. If you don’t have loaf tin, you could substitute with any 0.5Kg cake tin.
2. If you’ll be using canned pumpkin for this recipe proceed to step 3. But if you’re like me and are using freshly bought pumpkin . Cut, peel, de-seed and weigh the amount of pumpkin needed. Make sure to weigh the pumpkin after removal of the skin and seeds. Chop and boil the pumpkin with very little water until soft. You could steam them too instead.
3. Mash the boiled pumpkin with a fork in a bowl and set aside for later.
4. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and nutmeg powder.
5. Whisk well and set aside. This helps combine the ingredients as well as introducing air so we end up with a cake with good texture.
6. Place the margarine and sugar in a large bowl and mix well with a whisk or an electric mixer. Beat until just combined.
7. Add in the egg and and beat until it’s light and fluffy.
8. Add in the pumpkin and beat until just combined. Please do not panic, at this point the mixture will look a bit grainy but that’s alright.
9. Add in the dry ingredients to the mixture and beat until just combined. If you’re using an electric mixer beat on low speed so as not to over beat the mixture. The cake batter should look silky and smooth. Smells like heaven too.
10. Pour out the cake batter into the baking tin and spread evenly.
11. Bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean. If you don’t have access to a cake tester you could always use a toothpick.
12. Let the cake cool in the tin for about 5 minutes then turn on to a rack to cool completely. Serve with a cup of tea or your favourite beverage.
Pumpkin Loaf Cake
- 125 g all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 85 g margarine / butter
- 180 g sugar
- 1 large egg
- 165 g fresh pumpkin
- Preheat the oven to 170° C / 338° F. Grease and dust one 4" × 8" loaf tin well.
- Cut, peel, de-seed, chop and weigh the pumpkin. Steam or boil the pumpkin with very little water until soft. In a bowl, mash the boiled pumpkin with a fork and set aside for later.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, nutmeg and cinnamon. Whisk well until combined and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and butter/margarine using an electric mixer or a whisk. Beat on medium speed until just blended.
- Add in the egg and beat well until light and fluffy. Mix in the mashed pumpkin. The mixture will look grainy
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until combined.
- Turn the batter into the prepared tin and spread it out. Bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the tin for about 5 Minutes then turn on to a rack to cool completely.
- Weigh all the ingredients accurately. This is very important people.
- If you don't have pumpkin available, you could substitute with butternut. This will not affect the outcome of the recipe.
- Before removing the cake from the oven check if it's done by inserting a cake tester/ toothpick in the middle of the cake.
- This pumpkin loaf cake can last up to 2-3 days at room temperature in an air tight container or wrapped securely in aluminium foil.