Homemade Salted Caramel
Homemade salted caramel is liquid gold I promise. No fancy equipment for this recipe.The caramel is so decadent, sweet, sticky, buttery and tastes amazing on anything it touches! It takes a some care in making it but it's totally worth it.
Servings 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
Add the sugar and water into a medium pan and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Place over medium heat.
Cook until the sugar mixture becomes a golden amber colour then remove from heat and whisk in the cream. Add in the butter and stir.
Place the mixture on a medium low heat and continue whisking. Cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and add in the salt. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and set aside to cool before using. The caramel can be refrigerated for up to a month.
- Avoid stirring! After the sugar has dissolved don't stir the mixture as this will cause crystals to form.
- Watch the colour of the caramel very keenly. The amber colour gives a beautiful flavour.
- Always use room temperature butter and cream.
- Don't forget the salt ! Salt really deepens the flavour profile and will keep your caramel from tasting too sweet.
- Caramel keeps for up to a month in the refrigerator so you can always prepare it ahead of time.